Extra-Departmental Units (EDUs)
Extra-departmental units (EDUs) are flexible and multidisciplinary entities organized around emerging research and teaching areas that span disciplines.
The University of Toronto Guidelines for Extra-Departmental Units (EDUs) (January 2015, PDF) provide :
- a summary of the four categories (A, B, C, D) of EDUs and their characteristics
- a framework for establishing and operating EDUs, including:
- approval pathways
- the appointment, role and responsibilities of directors
- governance/administrative structures and collaborations
- faculty and other appointments
- teaching activities
- a framework for conducting reviews.
Creation & Change
When thinking about creating or changing an EDU, please consult:
- the Guidelines for Extra-Departmental Units (EDUs) (PDF)
- your Dean’s office
- the VPAP office
- new EDU:As and EDU:Bs are developed by Faculties/divisions in consultation with the VPAP office; they are brought forward by the Provost’s office for approval by Governing Council.
- new EDU:Cs are approved by Faculties/divisions in consultation with the VPAP office.
- new EDU:Ds are approved by departmental or divisional governance (as determined by the Dean’s office and the terms of reference of the relevant Faculty Council). Please contact the VPAP office about proposed EDU:D names prior to governance.
Please report the establishment of new EDU:Cs and EDU:Ds, along with the names of their directors, to the VPAP office. EDU creation and change is included in the 2016-17 annual report on unit change (PDF).
- Guidelines for Extra-Departmental Units (EDUs) (PDF)
- Complete list of EDUs
- Policy for Approval and Review of Academic Programs and Units (PDF)
- Policy on Appointment of Academic Administrators (PAAA) (PDF)
- Policy on Interdisciplinary Education and Research Planning (PDF)
- Memo: Provost’s Statement on the Role of Advisory Bodies
Director, Academic Programs, Planning & Quality Assurance
Coordinator Academic Change